Adventures of a Novelty Fabric and Selvage Obsessed Quilter

Glad you stopped by!

I am a busy wife and the mom of 19 year old twins, a boy and a girl who are Sophomores at Syracuse University.

I have been quilting since the spring of 2008. I love novelty fabrics, colorful and unique.

Selvage quilting is addictive! Who knew the "junk" we cut off and threw out would be what I now save! I started a new tradition when I travel--visiting quilt stores! I particularly enjoy going to stores that have been named in the Quilt Sampler Featured Shop Lists-




Friday, October 29, 2010

Welcome Blogger's Quilt Festival participants!


The first quilt I made was a Strips N Curves quilt by Louisa Smith.


This quilt was along time in the making. The book was published at the end of 2001, so I assume I got it sometime the next year. I signed up to take a class for it, but that never happened for whatever reason. It didn't stop me from gathering fabrics, however.

My husband has an Aunt who sews, so while she was visiting us from Las Vegas, I showed her the book She ordered the book, and made her quilt. We went to Las Vegas to visit, and saw her beautiful quilt. Still, nothing finished on my end. Life got in the way.

I then proceeded to lose my copy of the book. I ordered another copy. This was the summer of 2006.

Fast forward to 2008. I was determined to make this quilt! I really began getting fabrics together, and to my delight, a quilt store opened up 5 minutes from my house! With Claire's help, I was ready to start making my strata! The rest is history, and my first quilt top was completed in June of 2008. Off it went to the longarm, and returned in September 2008 to be bound and hung above our mantle in the family room! I love how it came out!

http://amyscreativeside.com/2010/10/29/bloggers-quilt-festival-fall-2010/

17 comments:

  1. some projects just take time to achieve perfection. what a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt. I love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the circles trying to break free. Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an absolutely amazing quilt, let alone a FIRST quilt! I am very impressed - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took a class with Louisa Smith and never created anything as wonderful as your quilt. :) Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colours in this quilt, and am impressed by your perseverance. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job with your color selections, however long they were in the making! It's hard to tell how big this quilt is but it looks great as art. Congratulations on completing it after a long journey. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill,
    I love this book- I have it also and the templates which I ordered in the last couple of years. Wanda from Exuberant Color has made a few of the patterns from the book and was my inspiration to buy the book. One day I am going to make this pattern- I do loved curves in quilts- Yours is a beauty...
    Thanks for sharing- Enjoy the festival..
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a wonderful design. I have to mention that I too have a strips and curve quilt in the closest that is partially done. Seeing yours makes me want to find mine and get down to business.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If that's your first quilt, you make me feel like a beginner! It's beautiful and all those curves...ugh..but you've done them wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful quilt! I love quilts with circles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your determination!!!! I'm glad you finally made the quilt- It's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful. I love the design and the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your quilt!! the circles within circles are marvelous. did strata piecing to make a rainbow top that i love so much. your colors are marvelous. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please make sure I have a way to contact you!