Adventures of a Novelty Fabric and Selvage Obsessed Quilter

Glad you stopped by!

I am a busy wife and the mom of 19 year old twins, a boy and a girl who are Sophomores at Syracuse University.

I have been quilting since the spring of 2008. I love novelty fabrics, colorful and unique.

Selvage quilting is addictive! Who knew the "junk" we cut off and threw out would be what I now save! I started a new tradition when I travel--visiting quilt stores! I particularly enjoy going to stores that have been named in the Quilt Sampler Featured Shop Lists-




Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Selvage Story

While I was at my local library this past July,
I happened to notice a very
cool piece of fabric being used as a tablecloth.
I was in the midst of gathering quantities
of selvages for my Zinger.
Of course, my wheels started turning,
wondering if I could cut just an inch and a half
off the selvage edge from this fabric.

I went over to the desk, and said
“I have a really strange request for you”
and went on to explain what I was after.
The librarian referred me over to another librarian,
Veronica, who is in charge of the table displays.

I explained my request to her, and told her I
would come back with my rotary cutter and ruler,
to make a nice even cut from the fabric.

She was wonderful, and didn’t hesitate to give me a YES!
Then, she said “wait just a moment”, and had
me follow her into a storage room.
She then proceeded to show me 10
or so other fabrics, and told me I was
welcome to those as well!!!!!!!!!!!

I went back a few days later,
with the Selvage Edge book so I could show her
what I intended to use the selvages for,
and left with a bag full of selvages!

I have gotten to know the librarians
well over the past few months,
always asking about the progress
I was making on the quilt, and me
promising to bring in my
completed Zinger for them to see.

I went in this past Friday, and they
were so excited to see it!
They were having such fun locating
"their" selvages that Veronica had shared with me.

Thank you again!

The moral of my story is that you never know
where you will find selvages and make new friends!

1 comment:

  1. I like that story.. I always say 'if you dont ask, you dont get'.. whats the worst thing someone could say, "NO?" I love your zinger quilt..

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please make sure I have a way to contact you!